I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.Albert Einstein
The Center for the Advancement of Teaching welcomes you to FIU!
As a teaching assistant (TA), you play a vital role in this University. Your responsibility in the classroom is to provide learning experiences that facilitate student learning. Your transition and training for this new role include attending the half-day TA Orientation.
The Fall 2020 TA Orientation will be held virtually on Tuesday, August 18, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. EST. You will receive a calendar invite with the Zoom information approximately a week after you RSVP.
If for whatever reason you cannot attend the orientation, please contact Dr. Ileana Hernandez at email@example.com.
Before attending the TA Orientation, participants must:
- Read FIU TA policies and protections.
- Read chapter 1, “Follow the Research”, from Terry Doyle's Learner-Centered Teaching: Putting Research on Learning into Practice book.
- Now that you've completed the reading assignments, you must complete the quiz. Satisfactory completion of the quiz requires a total of 8 points (1 point per question). You're allowed several attempts. The deadline for quiz completion is Monday, August 17, 2020 at 11:59 pm EST.
Please note all information regarding the policies is taken verbatim from the University Registrar and Faculty Handbook.
Below you will also find links to additional information regarding FIU and teaching and learning resources. If you're new to Florida and/or the United States, you will also find a Survival Guide created by Dr. Tom Pitzer and various graduate students in the Biological Sciences department, with valuable information such as how to obtain a Florida drivers license, apply for residency, etc.
- Want to learn more about teaching?
- FIU Online TA Resources
- Classroom Resources Quick Guide
- Counseling Center Information
- Faculty Handbook 2019-2020
- Academic Calendar 2019-2020
- FIU Disability Resource Center
- FIU Center for Excellence in Writing
- FIU International Student and Scholar Services
The CAT is here to support you on your journey. We invite and encourage you to stop by our office (PC 237), call (305-348-4214) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) when you have teaching questions and concerns whether big or small!